August 09, 2021 4 min read
When we think of things our dogs shouldn't eat, we often imagine chocolate cake or a spilled beer. However, while our furry friends have strong stomachs, many foods could risk their health if fed even just a little bit. Our primary focus will be grapes, which are one of the foods your dog should never get their paws on in this blog.
While many owners know it's a bad idea to feed their dog grapes, not many owners know why. Grapes are highly toxic to dogs, and just one or two of them could pose a severe health risk to your pup.
While it's fatal to feed grapes to dogs, scientific studies have not discovered why dogs react so poorly to them. Below is a list of side effects a dog may experience upon ingesting even a single grape:
These symptoms are synonymous with other kinds of food poisoning in dogs, including chocolate, caffeine, or poison ingestion. If you notice your dog displaying any of the symptoms above, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Since the symptoms of grape ingestion are the same as those of toxin ingestion, it's clear that we shouldn't feed our furry friends these juicy berries.
Since raisins are just dried grapes, it's sensical that you should avoid feeding them to your dog as well. Just because raisins are smaller and dryer does not mean that they are any less harmful. If your dog does happen to get their chops on a raisin, be sure to follow the same precautions listed above.
So, while you may enjoy a box of raisins as an afternoon snack, your dog will be much happier, in the long run, chewing on a beef bully stick.
If your dog ate grapes, it's important to get them medical attention immediately. While your dog may not show any of the side effects listed above, your dog's life is still in danger. Kidney failure usually occurs within 72 hours after your dog has eaten the grape, even if your dog isn't displaying any symptoms of poisoning.
For this reason, getting your dog to the vet immediately is the best thing you can do for them. If your dog is treated quickly enough, you may be able to save them from significant damage to their kidneys or acute kidney failure.
When you take your dog to the veterinarian after they've eaten a grape, the health center goes through a list of procedures.
If it has been under two hours since your dog snacked on some grapes, the vet will immediately induce vomiting. This is done by using an emetic medicine or diluted hydrogen peroxide. After your pup has thrown up, the vet will usually feed them activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins in the stomach.
If it has been over two hours since your dog ate grapes, they may be in a fatal condition. Your veterinarian will first check the state of your dog's kidneys, and by what they've noticed from that, may put your dog on medicine, antibiotics, or IV fluid to make sure their kidneys have a chance to heal.
After your dog has eaten even one grape, there is a chance of lasting damage to its body, which is why it's so important to keep grapes away from your pet.
While you should never feed your dog grapes, there are a handful of other human foods your dog would love to take a bite of! Aside from being tasty, these fruits are healthy and can only benefit your dog- being the perfect snack for us humans and our dogs alike!
Watermelon is a great way to refresh on a hot day for us humans and our pups, composed of 92% water and packed with vitamins! Watermelon includes Vitamin A and lycopene, which work wonders to prevent blindness and cancer.
When feeding watermelon, make sure to remove the seeds and rinds before giving it to your pup. These can be a choking hazard and cause a blockage in their digestive tract. It's also helpful to break up the watermelon into small pieces.
Many dog parents have a Halloween tradition of dressing their dog up, but pumpkin is a great way to make Halloween even more fun! Pumpkin is a superfood high in fiber and filled with vitamins and minerals, It is a healthy, tasty, and sweet treat your dog will love.
Additionally, pumpkin is proven to aid with gut issues in dogs, being an excellent natural remedy for diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain, and weight regulation.
Blueberries are another extremely healthy fruit for dogs, packed with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. These tiny berries have been proven to prevent cell damage in humans and dogs, slowing brain aging and boosting overall health.
Because of their size, blueberries are a great training treat! They are also easy to chew and are an excellent tool for teaching your pup to catch treats midair.
We all know the phrase, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Luckily for your pup, it applies to veterinarians as well! Apples are a tasty source of Vitamins A and C for your dog. They are also low in fat, being excellent for pups that are trying to lose weight.
Be sure to remove the seeds and core of an apple before feeding it to your dog since they contain small traces of cyanide.
Pairing a slice of apple with some dog-friendly peanut butter is a great way to spoil your pup and make them drool over a healthy snack!
Mangoes are a lovely tropical fruit that humans and dogs can both benefit from them. A single mango is full of Vitamin A, B6, C, and E, delivering lots of nutritional benefits in just one bite.
Like apples, mangoes have a pit containing traces of cyanide that must be removed before feeding to your dog. They are also high in sugar, so it's best to provide them only a tiny amount. After you've removed the pit of the mango, let your dog dig in and enjoy their healthy snack!